Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mommy Question and Answers

I saw this on another blog yesterday and I thought it was neat.  Shout out to Karen for answering the questions on the Domestic Wannabe's blog.  I hope they don't mind me using this idea.  I am sure it is okay.  Karen has been great at helping me with questions I have in this mommy world.  In fact so many of you have been such a great support.  So with that a BIG THANKS!  
I have loved reading all your comments on my last post!  I am slowly getting to each of your blogs and answering emails and comments throughout the day. 
I loved these questions as I think all of us can learn a thing or two from one another. 

Question 1
What is the most surprising thing to you about being a mother?

The most surprising thing to me about being a mother is it is nothing as I thought it would be.  I grew up babysitting and I thought it would be some what like that, but it is not.  It is amazing how much you LOVE and ADORE your baby!  I use to wonder why mommy's I know didn't get out and now I know.  Some days the day just flies by and you will find that there are days where you don't shower or get a chance to brush your teeth.  I know that I have said I won't do that or I will do this.  Well when it comes to making your baby happy you will do the things you said you wouldn't and you will not do the things you said you would.  For example, during my pregnancy I told everyone that I planned on putting Grayson in his crib from day one.  In fact we didn't purchase a pack-n-play or a bassinett because I was determined to have G in his crib from day one.  Well that didn't happen!  Our first night at home I remember getting ready to go to bed and it just hit me like a TON of bricks.  I was overwhelmed by the thought of having to put him in his nursery which is on the other side of the house.  So I broke down and cried and begged Chad to let him stay in our room.  It was a tough first night as I didn't sleep at all because I was worried that something would happen to Grayson because he was sleeping in our bed.  So the next day Chad and my sister Amie went shopping for a Pack-N-Play.  So just know it is okay to say you are going to do this, but when it comes to the time to act upon it know it is okay to change your mind.  It is your right is the mommy!  At least that is my opinion! 

Question 2
What are some tips you would give to new moms, or soon to be mommas?

Tip one - Write down all feedings, wet/dirty diapers, naps, and bedtime
Tip two - Routine
From day one I wrote down everything that took place with Grayson until he was 2 months old.  It helped me by first knowing that Grayson was getting enough to eat and two it helped me determine and stick to a schedule each day.  Don't get me wrong there are days where the routine doesn't work, but I do know that if Grayson gets a good morning nap he is a MUCH happier baby throughout the day.  Right now we are fighting routine as we are struggling with naps, but we will get it all worked out.  Okay back to routine, I remember before Grayson was six weeks old I put so much pressure on all of us to get a routine figured out and in a way I am glad that I did because now Grayson has some what of a routine and I know what his limits are and since 6 weeks of age Grayson has slept through the night (with the expection of a few nights here and there).  But please don't stress in the end it will all work out! 
Tip three - Eat, Play, Sleep
We follow this pattern and it has really helped with Grayson sleeping through the night and it helps with naps too.  When it is time for nap Grayson gets his diaper changed, I swaddle him, and rock him for a short time and he is out!  Start this early, one blog reader gave me a tip: After feeding him change his diaper that way he wakes up and doesn't fall asleep and want to nap.  Even if it is only 5 to 10 minutes of play time in the beginning over time it will get longer.   Remember these are just my tips what works for us may not work for you. 

Question 3
What are your top three baby products?

Well my TOP baby product would have been the nap nanny, but that got recalled so I really shouldn't promote it.  We used it before the recall and we loved it, but now it is just not safe to use. 
Swaddle Blankets are a MUST!  We still swaddle Grayson for naps and bedtime!  The one thing I would change is swaddling with Grayson's arms in the blanket versus out.  He won't let us swaddle with his arms in.  I have tired several times!  If we would have swaddled Grayson with his arms in I think in the earlier stages he would have slept better.  Remember that your baby wants to feel like he/she is in the womb.  So with our next baby we will swaddle with arms in! 

Reading or Watching Happiest Baby On The Block before your baby gets here.  I read it after Grayson was here and we used the tips, but again I would have done a few things differently.  In fact if you have any baby books you want to read please read them NOW you won't have time. 
Grayson didn't like the bouncy seat or the swing until recently.  But now I can put him in the bouncy seat and he will watch cartoons or Baby Einstein.  As for the swing he just recently started liking it and he will take naps in it.  He also has the activity Baby Einstein mat that he loves! 

One final mommy thought:  When I was registering for items such as the bouncy seat and the swing I wanted something that wasn't too boy or too girl so I ended up with the gender natural swing and bouncy seat.  They look great, but I probably would have gotten something different.  For example our bouncy seat doesn't vibrate and I wish it did and our swing doesn't have a mobile and again I wish it did.  I think when I was registering I thought about what would look the best rather then the function of the product.  I think now I would look at what it has to offer in terms of function and interaction for your little one.  I hope that make sense.  Just my thoughts take them or leave them! 
Happy Thursday and we can't end the post without a picture of Grayson!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



unique stats

Vistors since January 15th, 2010
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved